This is my Gorilla Mode Pre-Workout review. I answer questions you have the efficacy, taste, and price, along with giving you some information on the ingredients.
Gorilla Mode is the pre-workout claiming to outwork all pre-workouts by providing the maxed-out formula in all aspects compared to anything else you’ll find on the market.
I don’t have a lot of experience using pre-workouts, so I went and tried a few to compare how they could potentially prework help with my training. To summarize everything you’ll read in the rest of this article:
Gorilla Mode is a legitimately good product that combines ingredients that enhance your strength AND gives you more energy to get extra reps in when you’re lifting OR allow you to push harder when you’re doing any endurance training. In fact, it’s really allowed me to push harder when I’m hitting the heavybag or distance running.
Let’s dive in so you can get a more in-depth look at what this supplement can do and what it can do it for you. (Grab some here)
How I use Gorilla Mode and what to expect
I mix 1-2 scoops of Gorilla Mode with 12-14 ounces of water 30 minutes before my training sessions to get the best results. Like many products of this nature, it’s more intense on an empty stomach. However, taking this and training breaks fasted training if this was your goal.
If you’re sensitive to caffeine or new to pre-workout supplements, I recommend starting with half a scoop and observing how well your body handles it. Once you build up a tolerance, you can adjust your serving as needed.
My tolerate is absolutely ridiculous for caffeine because of how much caffeine I drink on a daily basis.
Here’s what I notice after taking it, although your experience may vary:
Within 15-30 minutes: I start to feel more alert and focused, although it could just be the placebo effect since the caffeine hasn’t hit just yet.My brain is on fire, and I can feel the blood coursing through my veins. My body is ready to hit the weights or speed bag if I haven’t already.
Within 90 minutes: I’m still going strong, thanks to the muscular endurance and cognitive boost. An interesting benefit of Gorilla Mode is that it simultaneously motivates you and actually gives you more energy. It’s not just motivation and placebo. The malic acid, betaine anhydrous, agmatine sulfate, and huperzine-A are giving you more energy and focus.
After 6-8 hours: By this point, I’ve already hit the half-life of caffeine and observe no noticeable effects from the pre-workout. If anything, I may feel somewhat fatigued from the training session, but that’s because I choose to hit it hard. The only ingredient that has a long half-life is Huperzine A, but there is such a small amount that you’ll be pretty much back to normal.
Increased muscle strength and endurance
Gorilla Mode provides a massive increase in nitric oxide (NO) levels, intramuscular hydration, energy, focus, and a significant boost in muscle strength and endurance that you’ll be hard pressed to find in any pre-workout.
In particular, the L-Citrulline, GlycerPump, Agmatine, Creatine, and Betaine saturate synergistically work together to give your muscles more energy and the ability to generate more strength. muscles with blood to maximize your pump and performance while balancing your energy levels and focus to complete those long, grueling workouts.
Now, I’m not typically a weight lifter, but since I’ve stopped competing professionally, it’s something that I’ve started doing to stay in shape. The effect it has on me hitting the bag and running is just as awesomel
I think a lot of people underestimate how well preworkouts can help you with endurance training. While the energy boost is artificial and temporary, the adaptations that your cardiovascular system makes will last after the training.
Gorilla Mode isn’t just a powerful strength enhancer; it also provides a significant cognitive boost thanks to its nootropic formula of L-Tyrosine, Kanna, and Huperzine A. Combined, this formula significantly increases energy, focus, and overall mental sharpness.
While it’s a bit ridiculous to use this *strictly* as a nootropic, but it does create a nice synergistic effect if you take Gorilla Mind Smooth after you get a workout in using Gorilla Mode.
Aside from that, Gorilla Mode has increased my intensity and mental clarity in the gym. It’s easier to stay focused and locked in while using it. The caffeine provides energy, bt the supporting L-Tyrosine, Kanna, and Huperzine-A drive support your focus and energy.
It’s much easier push for those extra reps or run an extra mile or two without feeling distracted or wanting to give up.
The 175 mg of caffeine per serving in the product can make you feel jittery if you take the max recommended dose of two scoops. To put that in perspective, a 12 ounce cup of coffee has about 145 mgs in it. So it’s not a crazy amount, but this is something to keep in mind if you’re sensitive to caffeine or you just had a cup of coffee.
I’ve also found that it’s not smart to use the product for workouts later in the day, as the caffeine dose can wreck your sleep. But everyone reacts differently, so start with a smaller dose and experiment until you find what works best for you.
Gorilla Mode ingredients
I’m a big fan of the Gorilla Mind product line due to the owner Derek’s transparency about what goes into the products, which can’t always be said about other popular nootropic and pre-workout blends.
And since I’m strict about what I put in my body, I only take what I recognize and know is healthy for me.
Here’s the list of ingredients found in Gorilla Mode:
I’ve also included a short explanation of what each ingredient does—though I encourage you to do your research. Examine is a trusted resource for learning more about each ingredient.
- L-Citrulline: An amino acid that can help reduce fatigue, increase power output, and improve endurance in both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. (Source)
- Creatine Monohydrate: An organic compound commonly found in meat and fish. When combined with resistance training, research has shown that it can improve strength, power output, and lean mass.
- GlycerPump™: A unique formula consisting of 65% Glycerol powder that hyper-hydrates your muscles to increase muscle pump.
- Betaine Anhydrous: Also known as trimethylglycine (TMG), this naturally occurring compound can potentially enhance strength-based performance and hypertrophy by increasing blood flow and reducing fatigue.
- L-Tyrosine: An amino acid that helps reduce stress and enhance cognitive function by balancing the neurotransmitters in your brain.
- Agmatine Sulfate: A neurotransmitter and neuromodulator with anti-anxiety and antidepressant-like effects to help elevate mood. It can also manipulate the body’s pain receptors, allowing you to power through more intense workouts.
- Kanna: A South African herb that reduces anxiety, increases cognition, and improves reaction time.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: A powerful stimulant made using the seeds and stems of the coffee plant and dehydrating for increased concentration. Caffeine has been shown to improve physical strength and endurance and is classified as a nootropic because it sensitizes neurons and provides mental stimulation.
- N-Phenethyl: Also known as the “love drug,” this nootropic increases the release of serotonin, dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline.
- Bioperine: A trademarked formula of black pepper extract standardized to 95% Piperine that’s commonly used as an anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant, capable of eliminating free radicals within the body.
- Huperzine A: A cognitive enhancer that increases cognitive function and memory, helps body composition, and combats aging.
How it compares to other pre-workouts
Walk into any gym or commercial nutrition store, and you’ve likely come across a variety of pre-workout supplements packaged with bright colors and bold claims. It can be overwhelming to pick which product is right for you amid the marketing hype and confusing trademarked pre-workout formulas.
Since I haven’t tried many preworkout personally, I did the next best thing: I compared the ingredient profiles of some of the most popular pre-workouts. To help you out, here’s how Gorilla Mode performs against some of the most popular pre-workouts on the market.
Gorilla Mode vs. DAS LABS Bucked Up
DAS LABS’ Bucked Up has made quite a name for itself in the health influencer space. Good branding and a relentless marketing campaign have put this pre-workout on everyone’s radar. But how does it stack up?
Bucked Up shares a similar formula with Gorilla Mode, with the big difference being that its caffeine content is a bit higher at 200mg per serving and the addition of 2,000mg of Beta-Alanine.
If you’re not familiar with Beta-Alanine, it’s a common ingredient found in pre-workout supplements that makes your skin itch to give you the sensation that the product is working without providing any real performance improvement. If you prefer the tingling sensation, you may enjoy this one, but it’s not something I look for in my pre-workouts.
I’ll also add that a 30-serving container of Bucked Up is $49.99, which comes out to $1.67 per serving, which is a bit steeper than Gorilla Mode’s $1.23 per serving for a 40-serving container.
Gorilla Mode vs. Transparent Labs BULK
BULK is another popular pre-workout supplement from the well-trusted brand, Transparent Labs. Unlike Gorilla Mode, which has 2,500mg of Creatine, BULK contains a unique Testosterone Support Complex to support muscle growth and includes a hefty 4,000mg dose of Beta-Alanine.
BULK is offered at the same price-per-serving as Bucked UP, making it a pricier option. Still, Transparent Labs is a quality brand that lives by its name by providing 100% transparency about its ingredients and using third-party testing.
If the cost (and your facing tingling) isn’t a concern, it’s a solid option. But if you’re looking for the best value-per-scoop, Gorilla Mind is excellent compared to other pre-workouts—even at just a half dose.
Gorilla Mode Nitric Review
If you want a little more bang for your buck, you can also try Gorilla Mode Nitric.
This is Gorilla Mind’s latest stimulant-free pre-workout. It’s got a few extra ingredients that give it an extra kick. It also carries a higher price tag of $59 per container compared to Gorilla Mode’s $49 price tag.
When you look at the ingredients and feel the effect, you really notice where that $10 goes.
Gorilla mode nitric ingredients
For the most part, Gorilla Mode Nitric has the same ingredients as Gorilla Mode. However, the quantities per serving of some have been increased. The follow ingredients are found in greater amounts in Gormilla Mode Nitric:
- L-Citrulline (5000 mg vs 4500 mg)
- Betaine Anhydrous (2500 mg vs 1250 mg)
- GlyrcerPump (2000 mg vs 1250 mg)
- Agmatine Sulfate (750 mg vs 500 mg)
The new ingredients are interesting blend designed to dramatically increase muscle pump and energy levels compared to Gorilla mode. Those ingredients are as follows.
- Nitrosigine®: An inositol-stabilized arginine silicate that causes flow-mediated dilation to increase muscle pump. It has also been shown to be a much more effective vasodilator per serving than other common formulas at increasing NO levels.
- Sodium Nitrate: When most people think of sodium nitrate, they think of its use to preserve foods, pharmaceuticals, and dietary supplements. However, nitrate supplementation, either in the form of nitrate salts (e.g., sodium nitrate) or food increases plasma nitrite concentrations, a marker for nitric oxide, which have been shown to enhance endurance capacity and performance. (Source)
- VasoDrive-AP®: Also known as AmealPeptide®, VasoDrive-AP is used to improve arterial flexibility by increasing the production of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS). VasoDrive-AP is a naturally occurring blood-pressure support ingredient derived from milk protein through a proprietary enzymatic process. (Source)
For the extra $10, you get more of the ingredients in Gorilla Mode along with some extra benefits. One of those benefits can be of great assistance if you’re dealing with hypertension.
Frequently asked questions
Before I try any new supplement or product, I always do my research to ensure it makes sense to take. Here are some common questions I get about GM so you can make your own decisions about whether or not it’s right for you.
Can I stack it with other supplements?
You can stack Gorilla Mode with Gorilla Mind Smooth, a stim-free product that can improve concentration for those more intense workouts that require intense focus. But use as directed and do your research before combining GM with other stim-based supplements, and never exceed your daily serving.
Should I ever cycle off Gorilla Mode?
To remain sensitive to the product, you should always consider cycling off any stimulant-based products for at least 5-7 days every month. I naturally cycle its usage since I only take it during intense workout sessions a few times per week, which you could do the same.
Are there any side effects?
The main side effect is that caffeine can give you the jitters if you take a higher dose than your body is accustomed to. If you’re sensitive to caffeine, consider lowering your dose and don’t take it later in the day unless you want to risk not falling asleep.
How does Gorilla Mode taste?
Gorilla Mode comes in a variety of flavors, including popular options such as Fruit Punch, Cherry Blackout, Watermelon, Mango Peach, and—my favorite—Tiger’s Blood.
I find that it tastes pretty good for a pre-workout supplement, especially the original Tiger’s Blood flavor, which is a blend of watermelon, strawberry, and coconut. If you find the flavors to be a bit strong, you can dilute them by adding more water.
Gorilla Mode has become my go-to pre-workout for when I want to hit the gym hard. It’s the best pre-workout for the money for increasing muscle growth and endurance. It also keeps me hyper-focused and energized in the morning due to the caffeine and nootropic formula.
If you’re looking to maximize your mental and physical performance at the gym, I recommend giving GM a try. However, if you’re sensitive to stimulants, you should be cautious due to the high dose of caffeine. Just be sure to introduce this pre-workout slowly and never exceed two scoops.
Buy Gorilla Mode
If you found my review helpful, I’d love for you to use my link here (I get a small % cut of each sale made through the link, which helps cover the cost of running the site).
I look forward to hearing your thoughts, reviews, and feedback. And if you’re already using Gorilla Mode, let me know how it’s helping you reach your training goals.
Gorilla Mode has become my go-to pre-workout formula because it is incredibly potent, tastes okay, doesn’t break the bank, and because I feel comfortable knowing the ingredient list is shared openly.Trainer harder, smarter, and longer